Sunday, August 10, 2014

Actually...Failure IS an Option!

I must admit, after reading Alan M. Blankstein's book "Failure Is NOT an Option" a few years ago, I was all for that concept....I even chose it as a theme one school year.  As I look back, I  see that I took on this theme without the true understanding of its meaning.  I now understand that Failure should not be FINAL...but it is indeed an option! Our mistakes  or "failures" are what allow us to grow, develop, and learn.  

Being a native of North Carolina and a true Michael Jordan Fan, when I don't succeed in the manner in which I would like to, I  always say to myself..."well MJ was cut from the varsity high school basketball team"...I move on, because I know that Failure is NOT final! I can still go on to be and do great things!

I still use the knowledge and information gained through reading "Failure Is NOT an Option", but I apply it differently now. The six principles identified in that book still guides my quest in developing leaders:

Principle #1- Common Mission, Vision, Values, and Goals

Principle #2- Ensuring Achievement for All Students: Systems for Prevention and Intervention

Principle #3- Collaborative Teaming Focused on Teaching and Learning

Principle #4- Using Data to Guide Decision Making and Continuous Improvement

Principle #5 - Gaining Active Engagement From Family and Community

Principle #6- Building Sustainable Leadership Capacity

No comments:

Post a Comment